The Resource Between the world and me
- Between the world and me
- Statement of responsibility
- Ta-Nehisi Coates
- trueAfrican Americans -- Identity
- African Americans -- Public opinion
- trueAfrican Americans -- Public opinion
- African Americans -- Social conditions
- trueAfrican Americans -- Social conditions
- trueAutobiographies and memoirs
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Personal Memoirs
- trueBlack Lives Matter movement
- Coates, Ta-Nehisi -- Childhood and youth
- Ethnische Beziehungen
- trueFathers and sons
- HISTORY -- United States -- General
- Howard University -- Students -- Biography
- trueLife stories -- Identity | Race and ethnicity
- trueRace (Social sciences)
- Race discrimination
- Race discrimination -- United States
- trueRace relations
- Race relations
- SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Discrimination & Race Relations
- trueSociety and culture -- Race
- United States
- trueUnited States -- Race relations
- Whites -- Attitudes
- Whites -- United States -- Attitudes
- trueAdult books for young adults
- trueAfrican American men
- Ta-Nehisi Coates offers a framework for understanding our nation's history and current crisis. Americans have built an empire on the idea of "race," a falsehood that damages us all but falls most heavily on the bodies of black women and men -- bodies exploited through slavery and segregation, and, today, threatened, locked up, and murdered out of all proportion. What is it like to inhabit a black body and find a way to live within it? And how can we all honestly reckon with this fraught history and free ourselves from its burden? Between the World and Me is Coates's attempt to answer these questions in a letter to his adolescent son. Coates shares with his son -- and readers -- the story of his awakening to the truth about his place in the world through a series of revelatory experiences, from Howard University to Civil War battlefields, from the South Side of Chicago to Paris, from his childhood home to the living rooms of mothers whose children's lives were taken as American plunder
- ALA Notable Book, 2016.
- Alex Award, 2016.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2015
- Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults, 2015
- Indies' Choice Book Awards, Adult Nonfiction, 2016.
- Kirkus Prize for Nonfiction, 2015.
- Library Journal Best Books, 2015.
- National Book Award for Nonfiction, 2015.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2015
- School Library Journal Best Books: Best Adult Books 4 Teens, 2015.
- Street Lit Book Award Medal: Adult Non-Fiction, 2016.
- Awards note
- National Book Award for Nonfiction, 2015
- Biography type
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .C6335 2015
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Target audience
ContextContext of Between the world and me
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Between the world and me
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.coweta.ga.us/resource/oZhL9QqbT2U/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.coweta.ga.us/resource/oZhL9QqbT2U/">Between the world and me</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.coweta.ga.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.coweta.ga.us/">Coweta Public Library System</a></span></span></span></span></div>