The Resource The kitchen house : A Novel.
- The kitchen house : A Novel.
- Title remainder
- A Novel.
- Statement of responsibility
- Kathleen Grissom
- trueHistorical fiction
- Electronic books
- true18th century -- 1701 -- 1800
- trueRace relations
- trueMultiracial persons
- truePlantation life -- Southern States
- trueUnited States -- History -- 18th century
- true1790s -- 1790 -- 1799
- trueEarly America (1784-1819) -- 1784 -- 1819
- Historical Fiction
- trueSouthern States -- Race relations
- trueMultiple perspectives
- trueIndentured servants
- In this gripping New York Times bestseller, Kathleen Grissom brings to life a thriving plantation in Virginia in the decades before the Civil War, where a dark secret threatens to expose the best and worst in everyone tied to the estate.Orphaned during her passage from Ireland, young, white Lavinia arrives on the steps of the kitchen house and is placed, as an indentured servant, under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate slave daughter. Lavinia learns to cook, clean, and serve food, while guided by the quiet strength and love of her new family. In time, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, caring for the master's opium-addicted wife and befriending his dangerous yet protective son. She attempts to straddle the worlds of the kitchen and big house, but her skin color will forever set her apart from Belle and the other slaves. Through the unique eyes of Lavinia and Belle, Grissom's debut novel unfolds in a heartbreaking and ultimately hopeful story of class, race, dignity, deep-buried secrets, and familial bonds
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Series statement
- Kitchen house
- Series volume
- Target audience
ContextContext of The kitchen house : A Novel.
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The kitchen house : A Novel.
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.coweta.ga.us/resource/mIq8VaMPQRA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.coweta.ga.us/resource/mIq8VaMPQRA/">The kitchen house : A Novel.</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.coweta.ga.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.coweta.ga.us/">Coweta Public Library System</a></span></span></span></span></div>