The Resource Her body and other parties : stories
- Her body and other parties : stories
- Title remainder
- Statement of responsibility
- Carmen Maria Machado
- Title variation
- Her body & other parties
- Contains short stories about the realities of women's lives and the violence visited upon their bodies
- In Her Body and Other Parties, Carmen Maria Machado blithely demolishes the arbitrary borders between psychological realism and science fiction, comedy and horror, fantasy and fabulism. While her work has earned her comparisons to Karen Russell and Kelly Link, she has a voice that is all her own. In this electric and provocative debut, Machado bends genre to shape startling narratives that map the realities of womens lives and the violence visited upon their bodies.A wife refuses her husbands entreaties to remove the green ribbon from around her neck. A woman recounts her sexual encounters as a plague slowly consumes humanity. A salesclerk in a mall makes a horrifying discovery within the seams of the stores prom dresses. One womans surgery-induced weight loss results in an unwanted houseguest. And in the bravura novella (3z(BEspecially Heinous,(3y(B Machado reimagines every episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, a show we naèively assumed had shown it all, generating a phantasmagoric police procedural full of doppelgèangers, ghosts, and girls with bells for eyes. Earthy and otherworldly, antic and sexy, queer and caustic, comic and deadly serious, Her Body and Other Parties swings from horrific violence to the most exquisite sentiment. In their explosive originality, these stories enlarge the possibilities of contemporary fiction.
- Indies' Choice Book Awards, Adult Debut, 2018.
- Lambda Literary Award for Lesbian Fiction, 2018
- Shirley Jackson Awards, Single-Author Collection, 2017.
- Assigning source
- --Back cover
- Awards note
- National Book Award Finalist, 2017.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- A6 2017
- H47 2017
- Literary form
- short stories
- Target audience
ContextContext of Her body and other parties : stories
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Her body and other parties : stories
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.coweta.ga.us/resource/BFx6Z-denik/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.coweta.ga.us/resource/BFx6Z-denik/">Her body and other parties : stories</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.coweta.ga.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.coweta.ga.us/">Coweta Public Library System</a></span></span></span></span></div>